A New Era for E-Commerce in Turkey
Turkey’s Digital Wallet “express” introduced with its unique functions
BKM (Interbank Card Center of Turkey) has launched “express” digital wallet platform for all cardholders to make e-commerce purchases easier and faster. This new payment system of BKM, called “express” removes the obligation of sharing card information in e-commerce. The users identifying their debit, credit and prepaid cards into the express platform of BKM (www.bkmexpress.com.tr) will be able to do shopping without sharing any information on e-commerce web sites. The system expected to increase the traffic of internet shopping is started to be used in some of the e-commerce web sites of Turkey by today. The number of member e-commerce web sites is expected to increase in the near future.
The cardholder who is an express member can do online shopping through a single-use password from the mobile phone without having to use card information. The cardholder also takes the advantage of the card’s reward, mileage, promotion and installment opportunities.
90% of the cards market is on the system
Speaking at a press conference introducing express, CEO of BKM, Dr. Soner Canko said: “We have been working on this digital wallet for 8 months and it is now in use. As of today, the system is starting to work with the cards of 9 banks including Akbank, Finansbank, Garanti Bank, ING Bank, Is Bank, TEB, Vakifbank, Yapi Kredi Bank and Ziraat Bank. We have currently included 90% of the traffic of card payments in express platform. Soon, all the banks will take their places in express. Even If the cardholder doesn’t have his/her card, he/she can make a purchase by using express digital wallet and he/she can take advantage of the card’s reward, mileage, promotion and installment opportunities. express stands out as the first digital wallet in the world to have these features.”
How to use?
- The cardholder enters the address of www.bkmexpress.com.tr and signs up to express with a personal username (email address) and password.
- The cardholder identifies Turkish ID Number and some of the digits of the card he/she uses into express.
- The user having saved the cards becomes ready for online shopping.
- During online shopping, the cardholder prefers to pay by express and accesses the ‘digital wallet’ via the user name and password. Here they see all the cards and the advantages together and choose to pay in advance or installments by the card they prefer.
- In each identification; the registration is performed using single-use password via a SMS from the bank.
- Entering the single-use password coming from the bank in a SMS onto the screen, the cardholder completes shopping.
express is an important step towards “Cashless Society”
By the year 2023, 100th year of Turkish Republic, Turkey aims to be the first country in the world where all the payment transactions are executed through payment systems. express digital wallet platform is an important step towards “Cashless Society”.
Advantages of express for Cardholders
- A platform to see all of the cards together
- Only some of the digits of the card number are shared with express. No need to share all of the digits which makes the system secure.
- No need to share mobile phone number with express
- Purchases are quicker and easier
- No extra charge or commission
- The card’s reward, mileage, promotion and installment opportunities are offered to the cardholder.
Advantages of express for E-Commerce Web Sites
- Since the cardholder doesn’t have to share his/her card number with the e-commerce web site, the purchases are quicker and easier
- Less operational work
- Transactions are monitored through online POS system
- Positive effect on the increase of e-commerce volume
- Convenience in security audit compliance
- Secure transactions due to single-use password via SMS
Future Plans of express
In the future, express digital wallet will include contactless and money transfer functions.
Soner Canko, PhD
Corporate Communications Manager