Let’s not ignore the Reverse Leaders
What do we mean by Reverse Leaders – these are leaders who have no title. They are those team members who by virtue of what and how they do what they do, have a positive influence and impact on others. Reverse leaders do not in any substitute or replace regular leaders, they compliment them. They are those people who are not yet in a formal leadership role but who demonstrate great leadership qualities. What might these be:
- They have strong interpersonal skills – high levels of emotional intelligence: They influence not through authority but through establishing strong interpersonal relationships. They are mindful of what they say and do.
- They focus more on results than on process – they know how to creatively navigate within and outside of process to get a better results. They do not ignore process for rebellious intentions, they ignore process when it frustrates achieving a better outcome.
- They have a high degree of integrity – Their peers and senior colleagues alike, look up to them. They are respected for their honestly and credibility. They consistently deliver.
- They have critical expertise – they are very effective at what they do. They add value. Their expertise is their authority.
- They are unwavering in their customer focus – they are often closer to the customers than regular leaders. They know what customers expect and how they feel. They are the customer’s voice.
Do you know who your “reverse leaders” are in your business? If so, what are you doing to nurture, develop and retain these team members? I’d love to hear more about your ideas on this topic – share your ideas.