An interview is your opportunity to show case yourself. You’ve got a foot in the door – give yourself every chance to get yourself into the chair.
1. Do your research. Understand what the company does. Read recent press coverage. Know their competitors.
2. Be clear about the role. Have you read the position description? Do you understand the key responsibilities? Have you spoken to someone in a similar role to find out more about it?
3. Who is on the selection panel? Know who will be interviewing you and their roles. Who will you report to? Find out as much about them as possible. Google them, have a look at their facebook, twitter or linkedin profiles.
4. Present an errorless resume and application form. Does your resume reflect your suitability for the role? Are you sure there are no spelling or grammatical errors.
5. Anticipate the questions. Think about what they may ask you. How are going to respond. Be sincere and authentic – not scripted.
6. First impressions count. How do you want to be perceived? What’s the most appropriate way to dress? Be calm and controlled. Be on time.
7. Ask questions. Ask insightful, intelligent and relevant questions.
8. Be honest. Tell the truth – all the time. If you lie, you will get caught out.
9. Demonstrate your fit. Reinforce why you believe you are an ideal fit. Make it easy for the panel – give them the reasons they should select you.
10. Ask for the job. Make sure it’s what you want. Show your desire. Be passionate.
At Terrapin we would expect you to be thoroughly prepared. Follow these 10 steps and back yourself. Good luck.
Posted September 29, 2010 by Bernard Desmidt